As far as one pot meals go, this one is one of the easiest (and best tasting!). This One Skillet Chicken with Garlicky Mushroom Sauce covers all the bases - flavor, veggies, and a meal that will be just as good at dinnertime as it is for lunch the next day.
To ensure even cooking, and a pan that can handle many different ingredients and temperatures, we leaned on the beautiful white ceramic Ballarini Treviso Sautee Pan with Lid. This showstopping pan is completely non-stick and features an ergonomic heat insulating handle that keeps the heat where you need it to be (in the pan and evenly on your food!). This one pot meal can’t be beat!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 4 breasts)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup finely diced red onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (or basil)
- Using a mallet, pound down the chicken breasts/thighs into ½ inch thickness. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup or a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and dried thyme.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and allow to brown for 3-4 minutes stirring as required to brown both sides. Remove the mushrooms to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on medium high heat. Add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the shallots to the skillet along with the chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the brown bits are loosened. Let sauce reduce for about 8-10 minutes or until about ⅓ cup of the sauce remains.
- When the sauce has thickened, reduce heat and add the butter, whisking until it melts completely. Add the mushrooms back in, then the chicken, then turn the heat back up to medium.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Add cream, simmer until chicken is done, being careful to not let the cream curdle, about another 2 minutes.
- Top with chopped parsley or basil and serve warm. Optionally serve on bed of cooked egg noodles.